peeri mureedi etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

peeri mureedi etc

The deal with Piri and mureedi and faqeeri etc etc.

What has led to the virtual worship of "pirs" and why is there little or no public awareness about what is going on is wrong. One can witness acts of reverence at these places whether its a self proclaimed, johnny come lately Pirís temple or at the mausoleums of a deceased great religious figure. People holding on to sheets placed over the grave, and when the sheets are changed, the old sheet becomes a great holy object that ensures luck, and peace and all to the fortunate one who gets it.

Then again we hear acts of brutality carried out by the goons of these supposed religious leaders in back water villages and towns. Messing around with those who will not give them the "proper" respect, getting women kidnapped, men killed or jailed on drummed up charges. We all know about the truth behind the miracles they perform where women who were not able to have kids become pregnant all of a sudden.

I know that there are tons of other issues in our country that take peopleís attention. I just felt this was important because these people are virtually ruling po-dunk joints as appointees of God, holy saints, and the religion personified, playing on the religious sentiments of backward, uneducated and simple folks.

What is with the "Urs" and all, what does that have to do with the holiness of some current Pir or with the memory of some actual great scholar. People spinning wads of rupees over the heads of the qawals and pirs and handing the money as sadqa or whatever.

Dunno about everyone else, but when I look at this whole concept, I cringe, its funny if you look at what is going on, but when you examine it closer it very worrisome and disturbing. Hey..only my name here is Fraudia...its those folks who are the real frauds.

Any takers?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Fraudiaji
    These rituals at shrines of saints are far removed from mainstream Islam. In fact this practice is so alien to Islamic teachings that one begins to wonder if these people can even called Muslims. Influence of the surrounding non-Muslim culture has a lot to do with what is going on. Although it makes sense to have a 'teacher', supposedly more knowledgeable about religion, to guide one, and much as Islam advocates respect for ones' "ustaad", it doesn't make sense to start equating the ustaad to God, which unfortunately some of the poor uneducated masses tend to do, and in the process get exploited. However, try saying this to those who have faith in these Pirs...there will be a death fatwa issued on whoever makes the mistake. I do acknowledge that some of these Pirs had saintly qualities, but todays saints are nothing but "Frauds". I am glad to note that you took the trouble to distance yourself from these true Fraudias. I hope you won't betray our faith in you.

So long...
    Antidote

Comment

Excellent topic!

I have not ever know much about this peeri mureedi stuff....my family has always discouraged such beliefs. We figure the shortest line to Allah is direct-dialing...

Where did this start and why can't it be eradicated with education?

Comment

Uneducated masses, social srife, unawreness of Islam and then biggest of it all Ther is a Lots of BIG Money in it, so Pir sahab is having it all the way without any one bothering.

Ther is only one solution to it raze them all. Ayub Khan did contorl it in his time; but now its a mess and a shame for us all.

Comment

What exactly did ayub Khan do? I would like to know
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Just bringing this topic back into the current topics..
            Since the participation in this forum has increased recently
            I wanted to bring some discussions that had fizzled out earlier
            due to fewer participants being active..

Comment

I'll take the urs part.

URS is the celebration of the death of a Sufi. since the objective of a Sufi is to become one with the creator. His death insures that his personality, his wisdom, his being, ceases to exist in its earthly form and is spread through the fabric of the cosmos. Thus becoming 'ONE' with the creator. This is concept is called 'Fanaa' in Sufi terminology. A Trainee-Sufi actually has to go through a period of 'Fanaa' before he gets enlightenment. But this is temporary 'fanna' where he sees the beauty of the cosmos.This phase is followed by 'Baqaa'
              For a Sufi, this first encounter with fanna defines him. Gives him strength. but it is temporary at first. Thats why the idea of returning to that state permanently is very powerful.

The celebration of a Sufi's Death, used to be a time of joy, but celebrated somberely through meditation. Some swirling Dervishes in in the Maghreb still do it.( The Swirling is a tool for cutting oneself out of the material world and concentrate on one point in the heavens thus freeing your soul to wander)
              In the Indian Subcontinent, somehow it got twisted due to the hindu influences. These sufis became intercessors and 'middle-men' ..Pirs.

Not all 'Pirs' encouraged this behaviour. some were true Sufi's who believed in the strict conduct according to Sharia. Tassawuf being only experimental exercises to attain spiritual purity. One example is Shaikh Ahmed Sirhindi ... another Shah Abul Muali, my ancestor eight generations up along the family tree .

The uneducated muslims of the time lost their faith. They were not content with the mosque and prayer to a God they could not see. Crises of faith were running deep.
              The Hindu Temple seemed to be the place where all the action was.

Various other socio-economic factors were used by the Hindus to convert Muslims to Hinduism. It was in these times, that the conversion of a Sufi's Grave to a pseuo-Temple took place. The pious Sufis became intercessors.
              Of course the poor chaps had long since gone and had no control over what their diciples do.

An industry was set up. The village mullahs discouraged individual and independant learning . They hated those who dared to question the mullahs word.

Independant learning died. Religion became the billy bat for one bearded guy. two henchmen and a supposed 'Saint' buried nearby.

Oh it is such a long and depressing story of how pure ideas of tassawuf were distorted into what we see today ...

Comment

Uncle Sargam

wow!!!!
                I am from the family of Shah Abul Muali as well.

Comment

Mr. Fraudia

sheeesh! talk about coincidences!
                  lets see are u a direct descendant?

I should dig out my old family tree and see where we link up.

Comment

brought back to life..for our new members

Comment

Oh doing miracles Fraudia..... bringing back to life

In my opinion this is all because of illetracy. its a fact that the subcontinent had some really great saints but i am sure none of them had ever asked his mureedains to perform acts which are being done now, and that too on the name Of Allah and Islam.

To give you an example, how many much mazars are present in Pakistan, if you travel by train from Karachi to Peshawar you will note a very interesting thing that almost near the every major station there is a some mazar built with various coloured flags or a mosque is there undrconstruction and people collecting money for it. I think you can guess the use of mazras also now

Comment

You are trying to tell me that their is a Mazaar franchise in pakistan kinda like McDonalds franchise here???

Comment

Yes Dear Fraudia, unfortunatelty it is something like that

Comment

Working...
                          X