Paki Junk Food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paki Junk Food

O.k...abvioulsy we're not gonna discuss newly opened Pizzahut or McD's or even TGI Fridays. I really miss eating paki junk food. When I was in NY, atleast I could make a quick trip to the Heights to get the food, but now, I miss it more than ever.

Who so remembers eating choolley or dahi baddey on the street corner. What about Qulfi in the afternoon when all the adults were asleep or at work and you hear the tun-tun-tun-tun of the qulfi guy? What about faluda?

My favorite was eating choolley or dahi baddey along with sharbaat. shaqaar qandi sometimes served as an alternative food.

man...just reading your post makes me wanna go down to gerrard street and enjoy a kulfi!!
    22.1 . O mankind! Fear your Lord . Lo! the earthquake of the Hour ( of Doom ) is a tremendous thing .

Comment

OOOOOOOH momma!

One thing that i miss most of all .. is the bun-kebab .. and Gannay la ras... that was my staple diet for 2 years while in college ..

Also Karachiites would prolly know .. The Kabab Roll from Silver Spoon and theor Pani Puri and Dahi Puri.

Yummm!!!!

Comment

U.S.:

I got really sick when I drank ganney ka rus. They usually squeeze the gannah along with the flies feasting on the rus also. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone unless they have already consumed most of the paki bacterias, which usually requires atleast a month's worth of conscious eating/drinking.

Neevertheless, ganney ka ras is indeed awesome!

Comment

Arey kisi ne Gol gappe to kaha hi nahin

Aur Chabbe se pakorre aur samose

Comment

Ghalib. Yar key yad kara dita ee!!!

Jigger. I am sorry you consider that a "junk" food. In reality, it is the "best" food one can think of. Gool Gappay, Dahi Bhally, Chat, Floda, Baraf Gola, Cholay, kabab, gandhayriaN (not a food group), Marunda, Ladoo PethiaN Walay (remember those??), CHal-ee (corn - two kinds, boiled and the one buried in coal).

Please don't call it "Junk" in future. I am extremely sensitive when it comes to Pakistani (specially Punjabi) food.

Next time before coming to NY, let me know. I know some "excellent" junk (oops!!!) food places.

Comment

oyee yaara...

In my book, goll gabbey, cholley and dahi baddey etc. are considered junk food... didn;t want to offend you..

Yaar..what places do you know. I know a few at the heights where they have decent tasting food. Now they have these indian fast food places opening everywhere... even in queens and LI...

[This message has been edited by ghalib (edited May 07, 1999).]

Comment

Ghalib Yaar,

Coney Island Ave in Brooklyn has plenty of decent take out places. In the city there are lots of little places on Madison Ave in the 20s. I will get you the names and the directions if you like. The stuff they sell is of OK quality, but nothing beats what is found on streets in Lahore. In 'Pardais' (foreign country) even a 3rd class 'bhartha' of a 'baNgun" tastes good. I do actually want to open up a restaurant. I will post a posting soon about that, may be you can share your ideas with me.

Comment

dude:

12 or 13 years ago, when there weren't many restaurants in the NYC area, one was glad just to taste the food, no matter how good or mediocre it was. Now, with all these restaurans cropping up, I would expect the quality and the service to competitive also.

You're right about the downtown ones, especially near Greenwich Village and City Hall. They do serve some good food but they;re geared more towards fast service, escially since they cater to cabbies. In LI, I liked Raj Palace. there's a begali restaurant on Broadway, in Jackson Heights before 74th street, which also serves excellent food.

Comment

Working...
                  X