Personality of the week. In focus is Ibne Safi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personality of the week. In focus is Ibne Safi

A nation is identified by its leaders, a society shaped by its , and a culture defined by its icons. With this spirit in mind, I have decided to start a personality of the week topic, where we will discuss one of the individuals who have made an impact on Pakistan. The person can be from any field including but not limited to arts, business, politics, military etc. etc. etc.

In order to be politically correct, I should start this forum with Quaid-e-Azam or one of the founders, but I have decided to wait on that until we have a good interest and participation in this forum. Going on forward we can have suggestions and decide who our featured personality will be. I dont claim to be an authority on any person, and would like to share my opinions, knowledge, and ideas with everyone and learn as well. This way we as a group can learn so much more about our national heroes and villains.

The person of the week is one that made the names x2 and black zero a household name for many, the great author Ibn-e-Safi. I am mostly familiar with Imran series and have not yet read much in the "jasoosi dunya" series, but plan to get the books at the earliest. He was an author of a unique vision, sometimes I sit back and think, what if one was able to make a television series based on the books, or a movie series, our own version of 007.

I do know that Ibn-e-safi directed a movie called dhamaka starring Javed Sheikh in the role of Prince Zaffar (I may be mistaken about the role), to this day I have been unable to get my hands on the movie. The movie flopped big time as I have heard, but maybe the public was not ready for it. Additionally Pakistani filmmakers did not have the type of technology, and imagery needed to do justice to the characters, plots ,and the story. I feel that to do justice to the story we need a director the caliber of Wu, or Scorcese, as none of the Pakistani movie studios and producers have come up with anything that can suggest that they are in the least bit equipped to handle such a project.

Imran series was a perfect mix of action, adventure, sci fi, comedy and was full of optimism. Its a shame indeed that our film and TV folks are still using the same old beat up stories and ideas when there is a wealth of original and exciting material sitting right there. Does it not make business sense to any serious and actually talented producer to take this on as a project, even in cooperation with a foreign studio, and to try it out. There are millions of Ibn-e-Safi fans who will jump at the opportunity to see a movie based on one of the stories, additionally there are countless pakistanis who have given up on our movie industry and would be ecstatic to see a quality offering. Then again it took forever to get a movie done about Quaid-e-Azam and even that with foreign actors and production. Does Ali Imran (Oxon) aka x2 aka prince of dhump stand a chance?

So folks... what are your thoughts on the man and his work.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

There were times in my 8th grade - 12th grade when I used to read Imran series one novel in a sitting. And one novel usually consisted of two books!!
    Ibne Safi created, as already mentioned, a household name, X2. Following his traditions, I believe many many people tried to recreate x2 and his unique personality but Safdar Qaleem was the most successfull.

If we look at the age factor of those who read x2 series, majority is teens. I must confess that in those 'teen' years the 'romance' and 'ishq-o-ashqi' thats characteristic of Imran made my 'untrained' heart miss a few beats. At a time when Istiaq Ahmed's Kamran, Jashed, Shauqi series was one of THE most read novels, Imran series was faaaaaar more mature in its tone and audience. Ishtiaq wrote for building a better society. His aim was to educate and promote a healthy family environment. He 'preached' good values. While, Imran series was more of a 'mature' content. It did stress on good values, but at no point I saw any of the authors 'preaching' the same.

I would like to point out the url to this cool site thats dedicated to Safi's work. Its at http://www.ibnesafi.com/ .
    It lists his work, life, poetry and whole lot of other useful information.

Comment

Azkar. I agree with the fact that Ishtiaq Ahmed had a definite social agenda. The characters were rather weak and plots weaker. It was probably the second urdu series I had read after "Maut Ka TaAqub" but there were points that you had to just stop and say "Huh?" Without going into detail about why I dont think Ishtaiq Ahmed is even close to the level of IBneSafi, I have to share two funny points with you.

If you remember in a book by Ishtiaq Ahmed titled "Hawa Kay qaidi" where the groupís plane gets hijakced, sveral things happen, 1) The microfilm that the hijackers are looking for is in one of the "Martabaan i.e. Jar" in the kitchen..now dude I dunno bout you but, last time I saw the planeís kitchen, there was not a single Jar there let alone a whole parade of jars. 2) The hijackers tied up the flight stewards and threw them in the bathroom...errr now either the stewards were skinny midgets or the plane had a full "bathroom" heh. 3) Miss Farzana saves the day by crawling under the seats to get to the secret member of the hijackers and to his surprise takes off the bomb tied to his ankle. Man, that is impossible unless either she is a skinny waif like Kate Moss and has some major bulimia , because if my dang pullman cant fit under the set how can she crawl unnoticed oh man oh man. Needless to say, that was just one of the examples of bad research for a book. Second book that I just laughed at was a book titled "Khoon ki Holi" and the whole basis of the plot was that some folks actually kidnapped muslims and then stuck a special needle in the heart which was connected to some pump and it sprayed the blood of the dying person around in which Holi was celebrated. Man das just lame, beyond lame if I may add.

As far as of all wanna bes who had a go at Imran series, I am not sure who was the lamest, but some Naghma Safi, who wrote under the name N-Safi had some graphic books, I mean she had material worthy of Jerry Springer in there, that was some shock, personally, I am of the opinion that she had some major unresolved issues, horniness probably being one of them . Question is, can anyone use characters created by another person and just write a book or what? Did these clowns get permission to use the characters or just went ahead since no law was there to stop them. If these people did get permission, was there no system around to make sure that only quality, talented writers are able to write further?

I am steadfast in my belief that IbneSafi was a true pioneer and had an ability to create characters and stories that are unparalleled in Pakistani mystery/suspense writing. Lets have a movie already...
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

I wish I have read the Istiaq Ahmed's novels when I was in Pakistan. I left Paki when I was 11 yrs old. My mom was against readin novels let alone Istiaq Ahmed. She felt that I wasn't mature enough to read this stuff and it was a bad influence.

I did however managed to read one to two novels. I think just the "Khaas Number," the big fat issue which came out once in a blue moon. Honestly, the plots and the actions, all seemed so cool, as they should to an average 11 yr. old. But now I think about it, some of it makes no sense whatsoever.

But I guess, we shouldn't try to make sense outta everything in this world otherwise we won't enjoy a single thing. Looney Toones rocks!

[This message has been edited by ghalib (edited March 04, 1999).]

Comment

Anyone know how I can get my hands on the movie Dhamaka based on Ibne safi Characters. I tried searching for it in Pakistan in January but to no avail

Comment

Re: Personality of the week. In focus is Ibne Safi

Mr. Fraudia, I seriously doubt if you would be able to get that movie. The only way could be to obtain it from a family member or friend of Ibn-e-Safi sahab. The way our film industry is, I would be surprised if they kept even five year old movies in some sort of data base or do they even know what a data base is. Anyways. I am very sure that soon Ibn-e-Safi's books would reappear as movies. Its just a matter of time. I know some indian producers were after making some tv serial on Ibn-e-safi's novels (http://www.milligazette.com/Archives.../comm-news.htm). Nothing hopeful yet but if we are thinking about it now, someone else with more resources must do that too, sooner or later.

Ibn-e-safi's writing is just amazing. Some people accuse him of plagiarism but those are so called "intellectuals" who think twice even before smiling. And there are very few of them, thank God!

Ibn-e-safi sahab is the pride of Asian Literature and his work must not stagnate.
            Last edited by safi-fan; May 11, 2005, 06:59 PM.
            When shared, happiness increases and sorrow goes low.

Comment

safi-fan

thank you for sharing the info, it is a sad day when our neighbours can see the man's genius and want to make shows based on his work, but in our own country we can not get beyond the social commentary infused dramas with qazi wajid overacting as usual and being a philosophical punk for the 16th drama serial in a row, or whether its jamshed ansaari prancing around like an idiot for the 12th time.

is there just not a critical mass of audience in pakistan who will embrace something based on Safi's work.

maybe imran series is not the right initial venture, maybe jasoosi dunya is. but come on..how can our producers ignore such great work.

maybe I should start a petition

Comment

and i thought this thread was abt ibn-e-safi & his work and not the lollywood and tv industry.

Comment

Except for 4, I have the entire Imran series at home in Pakistan...My mother used to read them...

Consider this my misfortune, that I have never read a single one...

Maybe when I get my hands on them, I'll read them...
                  Focus not on who you are but what you do...
                  ])>:::}-:Salams:-{:::<([

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Jack_Sensei
                    and i thought this thread was abt ibn-e-safi & his work and not the lollywood and tv industry.
                    maybe this thread is about why the work of this great author is ignored and aside from one movie no one has seriously tried to do anything. its about how we have ignored a national treasure.

you are more than welcome to talk about aspects of his work if you wish, the discussion is around the man and his work, and is not limited to one main theme in this thread.

Comment

I have all of imran series and Jasoosi dunya at home in pakistan, I will inshallah read them again when i go back home.

I liked the initial work by ishtiaq Ahmed and still remember the 4 surkh teer novels and panch qadam per moat. Ishtiaque later became too commercial producing 3/4 novels a month and the quality went down the drain.

For mystery lovers, check out Asr Nomani's novels. He also wrote during Ibnesafi's time but did not get the same recognition. Asr is known for his translations as Kamran series. Asr started out a inspector Ali Quli Khan series of his own, I read a few novels and liked them a lot. One excellent novel that i can remember is 5 fire, 3 goli
                      So our life
                      is a drop of dew -- and yet
                      And yet...

Comment

i used to love reading novels when i was a teenager in pak...never read imran series though...phir i read about imran series and bought two novels by mazhar kaleem and started to read one of them but didnt find it interesting

i should try to get ibne safi's novel because lately i have been hearing a lot about him...does anyone know if they sell entire imran series and jasoosi duniya in pakistan ? how much would it cost to buy all the books from pakistan?

Comment

The thread is indeed about Ibn-e-Safi and his work. His work presently is confined by the books he wrote but can be easily extended to any other medium of communication.

I think there are way too many fans of his work out there than we can estimate. The reason Ibn-e-Safi sahab is not in the electronic media yet is that as a nation we are technologocally far behind than many other nations. We have not even made good movies on our leaders and our history. Ibn-e-Safi's novels, if changed to movies, will be pefect to revive the maimed spirit of our nation. Respect of the law, patriotism, creativity, nation-building, staying on the defensive and offensive as a nation are some of the common agendas of his writing. And the beauty of all of his work is that it provides all these lessons in a very entertaining, pleasant, yet forceful way.

I am just afraid that before we would be able to take advantage of his work somebody else would steal it away from us. Just like some of the great music of the sub-continent that has recently been bought by a frenchman (http://www.bbc.co.uk/urdu/entertainm...yalty_fz.shtml).

Comment

Originally posted by ashtray
                            For mystery lovers, check out Asr Nomani's novels. He also wrote during Ibnesafi's time but did not get the same recognition. Asr is known for his translations as Kamran series. Asr started out a inspector Ali Quli Khan series of his own, I read a few novels and liked them a lot. One excellent novel that i can remember is 5 fire, 3 goli
                            Ashtray,
                            Do you know how to get Asr's novels in the US?

Comment

Wah... Wat a HUNT from the PAST Tnx Safi Fan....

6 Yrs Old Thread... Jiss waqt hum GS pe paida bhi naheeN huye thay... thats Y.. I missed this Thread

Pir Bhai Fradia Bhai..... It was Good thing.... Kia Khayal hay... Y dont U start it again.... Personality of the Week thingy... It will be FUN... Talking and Knowing abt differernet ppl... wat u say???

IBN-e-SAFI (Marhoom) To me is one of the Greaest Writer... I have used IS Coz He is stilling Alive in the form of his Writings although he is not physically among us.

Now adays if I read one book in a month.. I say to me.... OH... I am Proud of me.. BUT there was a time... when I used to Read Books like Book Worm... Maximum Ibne Safi Books I think... I reas 5 Books a Day

I have Read All, Mazhar Kalee, Ibne Kaleem, Safdar Shaheen, Ishtiaq Ahmad, Naghma Safi, S.Qureshi... Lots of Writers who used to write these novels... BUT....... There is NO match for any of them to the GREAT IBN-e-SAFI..... His Writting Style Wah... its Zabrdast... His Imagination... Hold of story... His stories were like Nowadays Good Hollywood movies... where when U Watch them.... U know that its a LIE but they picturize it so beautifully that U think that its Real....

I was searching for All Ibne Safi's Books, and I found his Site and From there I got the link for Israr Publications and I asked them for books and they said that I will find the books in One of the Book shop in Peshwar at that time I was there.... I went there quite a few time.. but those stupid ppl did'd had the Full set and I am not willing to have the incomplete set... And now I am waiting for the time.. when I will go to Lahore to Get the Full set... Inshllah I will Soon

When it comes to My Fav personalities I can write and write and write.. ... ... . .. . . ..!!

If Someone could Conduct the Survey for Who is the Biggest Fan of Ibne Safi..... I am sure I will be Among Top 5
                              FACE OF AN ~.~ANGEL~.~ APPETITE OF A VAMPIRE

Comment

Working...
                              X