Any teachers out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any teachers out there?

Can some of the more (culturally) experienced amongst you help me? I have never formally learned about Urdu poetry. I would like to know what some of the different qismain are and how they are different.
    To start, could you explain what the difference is between nazams and ghazals?

[This message has been edited by Yasmeen (edited 08-19-98).]

Dear Yasmeen
    Let me tell you, what I know and maybe someone will add to it.

Word "Ghazal" actually means talking to you lover. Ghazals are usually (or at least used to be) about love. Nazams, on the other hand can have any theme or topic.

Ghazal's each verse comprises of two lines. Also, each verse in a ghazal is a complete thought by itself and does not continue to the next verse. This is not the case with nazams. Nazam (depending upon its style) can have 3,4,5, or 6 lines in a verse (we are not talking about Azad or Nusree Nazam, here, which is different category). Also, Nazam has one continuous theme. Recently , another "sinf" of poetry in urdu is born. Its a marriage of nazam and ghazal. Its called "Ghazal-e-Musalsal" (continuous Ghazal). In this "sinf", the format is of Ghazal but theme remains the same, throughout. Every verse is linked with the next one (just like nazam).

The prince who is otherwise known as TLK

Comment

Thank you so much for responding! The details of this art form are fascinating.
      If it's not too much to ask, could you talk a little about meter? I notice that most shairs are of a certain length. Sometimes, they're a little short, but almost never longer than some magical length. What is this length, how is it decided?
      Thank you once again for sharing your knowledge with me.

Comment

Dear Yasmeen
        Unfortunately, I am not aware of any magical length, if there is any. I will try to find out the answer for you (and I will gain some more knowledge in the process of doing so).
        The prince who is otherwise known as TLK

Comment

Thanks for responding.
          I found my answer. See ya around!

[This message has been edited by Yasmeen (edited 08-30-98).]

Comment

Working...
          X