Counterstrike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Counterstrike

Why is it that when a criticism is made regarding a member of the opposite sex, retaliation/response almost invariably comes in the form of an in-your-face answer that ignores the original thought and re-focuses the discussion to a weakness belonging to the author of the original comment?

e.g. "Desi women don't take care of themselves as well as they should" -- comment made by male desi.
    "Desi men are equally careless." -- response from female desi.

Muzna

I think that people start acting like this either when they dont have anything substansive to say, but still want to feel as if theyhave the upper hand, or to get the last word in.
    Its a common discovery that in desi arguments and discussions, one does not try to take the good points made by the person supporting the
    other end of teh argument, but it becomes a
    contest in who seems more "right" and learned.
    We have a national verbal diarrhea, a lot of
    rhetoric..but not much substance to it.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

I would like to add that all generalizations are false

heheeh

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

You are so right Muzna. Many interesting discusions on this forum have been ruined because of irrelevent arguments. Why does everything have end in arguments??

Comment

Is it perhaps because as a community we are a very emotional people?

I find it a lot easier to take a step back from the issue at hand and look at it objectively. This method puts things in perspective for me and in the long run helps me to develop as a person -- you know by recognizing my own shortcomings and then working at them. . . .

Perhaps I shouldn't even point at the community . . .perhaps it's just human nature. A reflex action or protection mechanism that immediately kicks in when we feel threatened. A way of re-directing the "bad" to somebody other than ourselves so that, in our own eyes at least, we feel secure and satisfied, though falsely, with ourselves.

What is the big deal about admitting one's faults and weaknesses . . .afterall, it's only after we accept them that we can actually work towards eradicating them. And isn't that what it's all about? Achieving that near-perfect state?

Comment

Working...
          X