Basant and Greek Mythology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basant and Greek Mythology

Basant is a festival, celebrated by people of Lahore, every year with religious fervor. But this year they are not going to celebrate due to catastrophe that struck the counrty on Oct 8th 2005.

Basant has always been the topic of interest as most people find it surprising that why people of Lahore (and their relatives/friends ) are so passionate about this festival that they wait for it for whole year

It is a general understanding among people from all walks of life that Basant is actually the celebration of Spring, with colors and festivity all around so on and so forth ...

But for natives of Lahore, Basant in reality is something else. Its all about kites. Kite flying is The most popular pastime for the youngsters of lahore. Cricket is close second.

Kite flying, the way it is done here is a hardcore sports with rules and injuries and casualties in the process.

It has no relation to the fun activity by kids you may see at beach or in parks.
    The details of this game are lengthy and might not interest anyone. if you are
    really interested, you may use the search feature on this website.

Basant has always been most controversial festival in Islamic Republic of Pakistan. Throughout ages people have tried to dig out details about its origin, its usefullness, its impact on youth, benefits and disadvantages on society and environment.

I have came across a brand new study and research into the subject. And I find it interesting and it is supported by the facts too.
    Bazinggaaaa ....

Re: Basant and Greek Mythology

Basant, its origin and Greek Mythology.

The detailed study of kites, their design and they way they are used for Paicha(duel) with other kites actually holds very close resemblance with greek mythological tales of gods, goddesses, love, war, betrayal and devotion.

The theory holds true as the kites made and used for this sport, have very distinct gender recognition. For instance the study mentions a kite named Pari which is a female kite similarly Patang, and its various forms are feline, and they handled with care by kite flyers. The study claims that these feminine kite are actually images of famous goddesses such as Hera and Athena. Similarly the most popular "Male" kites Gudda and Koop are actually emblem of Gods like Zeus and Apollo

These goddesses represent bonding, love , war , power and the gods are known for their powers in sky, healing and music.

The study further explains that the way these kites fight in the sky and in the process they get real close, the tension in strings, the music and bonding in the sky, the passion for victory .... all these characteristics are derived from greek mythological tales. ( if you have observed such a duel you can testify that too)

The study concludes that People of Lahore are subconsciously attached to Greeks and their heavenly deities, and in this so called sport they actually idolize these gods and worship them.

After getting deeply impressed by these finding, I thought of getting an insight from the hardcore fans of this game in the congested localities of Lahore.

So I went to Ichra( Hub of kite flying enthusiast) and tried to talk to Mr. Ghufran Ahmed Butt alias Gogi butt, a champion kite flyer and paicha expert.
    I told him about this new research and asked his views :

Oye Maama ! Nazar nayee andaa paicha laga hoya ay ? Oye kashi, oye Sho***ia ! pungh pee ke ayaan aain ? oye Saleyaah ! Charghi phar teyaan nal !

This expert was busy in kite duel and declined to comment in rather un polite fashion, also ordered his fellow to remain vigilant !

Getting a bit disappointed at lack of interest in new finding I went to another expert. This time to a Chamero ( chamero is a term used for those kite flyer who tangle stray kites in the air, with their small kites)

Bhai jaan ! pata nahi aap kia pooch rahey hian ? Haanji ye pari hai our woo ju door red color ka hai wo 3 tawaa hai, haanji, basant hindowon ka tehwaar hai, saarey moulwi tu yehi kehtey hian ...ek minute !

Oye oye Goshi Chiltar ! oye ye patang meri hai, tu apna gudda side pe kar le, dekh main keh raha hoon, dekh teri tu %&#@$!$#

The gentleman also had no insight about this new study. He was also busy in his favorite pastime.
    [SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT][/SIZE]
    Bazinggaaaa ....

Comment

I don't know ehre u got this Basant is Greek nonsense. Even the word Basant is sanskrit. That said, Pakistan should ban Basant immediately, like this afternoon. It is a hindu festival and an Isalmic republic should have no place for it.

Comment

funny
        All of us have convinced ourselves that our way is the best way, our logic is the perfect logic and those who do not conform to our thinking must be criticized and steered to the right direction, our direction .............. therefore Gupshup exists.

Comment

Hunh ban basant my foot! Thats one darn festival in the country which attracts tourists towards Lahore, yes international tourists. Has anyone noticed at all the numbers of goras in lahore during basant compared to an off season.

Every festival has a joy of its. We don't do any idol or devil worship during this celebration so why the paranoid complains of putting ban on it. Yes there are number of accidents occuring, kids getting skulls cracked falling off of roof tops, getting electricuted and what not but what the hell. They should have a secret police for not letting kites be flown on unsafe grounds instead
          **Chindakha pa lotay okhata, no wai chay: "Yera kabul may okatho!!"**

Comment

Originally posted by expatobserver
            I don't know ehre u got this Basant is Greek nonsense. Even the word Basant is sanskrit.
            Remember, the Greeks owned India once. It would be entirely unsurprising if Sanskrit and desi culture had greek influences. In fact, the last remaining Greek nation in India was wiped out less than 2000 years ago
            Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
            Al-Ghazali

Comment

Originally posted by DB

Every festival has a joy of its......................... there are number of accidents occuring, kids getting skulls cracked falling off of roof tops, getting electricuted and what not but what the hell.

hmmmmmmmmmm
              All of us have convinced ourselves that our way is the best way, our logic is the perfect logic and those who do not conform to our thinking must be criticized and steered to the right direction, our direction .............. therefore Gupshup exists.

Comment

I am disgusted that some people feel that for a sake of a few tourist dollars, Pakistan should accept a hanood riwaz. So what it is a lot of fun this basant, kite flying and all the festivities. Islam is not about having fun. An islamic republic should promote nothing that comes from India even if iit is fun and brings in tourist dollars. People who recommend otherwise are malik hain chabook ke fatakonke.

Comment

yeah. same as what he said: pakistan or islam has nothing to do with having fun. infact, unless you're making everybody's life miserable by constantly nit-picking and poking your nose in how other people live their lives, you're a horrible muslim/pakistani.

f*%k the kites!! how dare you guys think of having fun, or, god forbid, celebrating?! now go out there and make yourself miserable!!

Comment

my eventual PhD dissertation (if i was getting a Phd in humanities...) will be comparing the religions and mythology of India and Greece, and how similar they are to each other, and to find who influenced who first.
                    \_o_ Guiltyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
                    -\_/|
                    -/-\ -
                    and then Buffy staked Edward and the Winchesters SAWED OFF HIS SPARKLY HEAD WITH A MACHETE and set him on fire to finish it. The End.

Comment

I think it was either the Chinese or the Japanese who used to tie their prayers to kite and fly them, in the hopes that their prayers will be answered by the gods...

As far as celebrating Basant it concerned, who knows...I would avoid it...
                      Focus not on who you are but what you do...
                      ])>:::}-:Salams:-{:::<([

Comment

Getting a little dejected at lack of response in frist two interviews, I found a guy who was not currently flying a kite, thus I felt i should talk to him

Asif, a high School student, had deep interest in kites and cricket.

Younaani Deyota ? haanji mujhey pata hai. Cupid ! mohabbat ka deyota hai Mera cousin le kar aya tha Valentine day ka card apni girl friend ke lye us pe bana hoa tha. Bata raha tha Cupid's arrow jis ko lag jai usko mohabbat ho jai hai

I was rejoiced at hearing this that the young dude knew about greek god and was aware of myhtological tales.

So Asif, what do you know about the origin of kite flying ?

Sahee tu nahi pata lekin Akhbar main parha tha ke China se kite flying shorou hoi thee (China, I read in paper)

And what are your views on this new study ?

Pata nahi, Shayad (Dont know, Maybe !)

Do you know about any other Greek gods ?

Haanjee, "Romeo and Juliet" ! yeh bhi younaani deyota hain, main ne film dekhi thi Titanic wala hero tha Leonardo Dicaprio ! end main dono mar jatey hain
                        ( he thought that Romeo and Juliet were greek gods )

Ok dear, I guess thats all, thanks for your time.

Sir jee, Aap ye konsey akhbar main chapaingay ? Please meri tasweer bhi laga dain saath ! main apney dostoon ko dikhaoonga

He requested that i should print his picture with this interview. I felt bad at declining his innocent request and break his heart by disclosing that I am no jounalist , so I took his passport size photograph he had in his wallet
                        Bazinggaaaa ....

Comment

I herd basant is right after mohharam this year !
                          We R Tiny we R To0ny we are all a little Lo0ny .

Comment

lol at Codey

I dont understand this fascination grown men have with kite... its boring
                            May your every wish be granted...
                            Ancient chinese curse

Comment

I dont understand this fascination grown men have with kite... its boring
                              Kite flying is a passion.... fighting a duel has more charm than drinking straight from the Bottle of whiskey... And holding the string after winning the duel is .... Oh God ! the experience. It is pure bliss, ecstasy... just like feeling the kicks and turns of unborn child in a woman's belly ! Amazing !
                              Bazinggaaaa ....

Comment

Working...
                              X