A Question for Urdu speakers..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Question for Urdu speakers..

I have a question for Urdu speakers..( as in Muhajir ones), while Pashtuns and Baloch are divided on the basis of tribes and Punjabis on the basis of Biradri..I often hear of terms like Memon used in relation to Urdu speakers. My question is this, are Urdu speakers divided on the basis of any caste, tribal, geographic differences in the same way? If so what is the hierarchy and stereotypes involved? Which groups are considered better off and which ones not? Which ones are numerically larger and which not?
    How can a man die better than facing fearful odds for the ashes of his fathers and the Temple of his Gods?

Re: A Question for Urdu speakers..

Memons are loaded. UPites and Hydrabadis are better educated than Biharis and other.

There's no heirarchy. Generally Hydrabadis don't like when people speak 'wrong' Urdu. One of my friend's mom would spank me for speaking wrong Urdu when I was a kid.

Comment

There is no heirarchy as such. Biharis are considered more enterprising and shifty and unreliable than others. Dehli walay make amazing food. UP walay are the stereotypical muhajir, pan chewing aap janab aray bhai kia ghazab kijiay hai bhai, hum aap say nibat lein gay type.. hyderabadis eat very spicy food, are loaded, and wear saris from what i remember
      Din-e-Mullah fee sabeelillah fasad (Allama Iqbal)

Comment

Overall, I feel people in Karachi could be divided over the areas they live in and most likely the amount of money one has and that's basically about it. There isn't much of the caste or class system issues.

I feel, generally people in Karachi are all about minding their own business. Most of us could care less what the person standing next to us is like, from, etc.

We're all pre-occupied in our own little worlds and I feel this is good.

Comment

^ except for biharis who have it pretty bad. social attitudes have changed now, we've had marriages recently into bihari families.. but they still go around saying they're from UP and not bihar to avoid prejudice.

there is this sheyr im forgetting now thats very popular

dunya mein qoumiyat ka bhikari bana dia
          jab kuch na ban saka to bihari bana dia

oh yeah.. that, in karachi, is like saying you're an ahole and i dislike your whole family.

Comment

^ I never knew biharis are so much looked down upon?

At least that's not what I've personally noticed.

Oh and not everyone from UP is the way you portrayed them to.

Comment

Biharis are considered more enterprising and shifty and unreliable than others. Dehli walay make amazing food. UP walay are the stereotypical muhajir, pan chewing aap janab aray bhai kia ghazab kijiay hai bhai, hum aap say nibat lein gay type.. hyderabadis eat very spicy food, are loaded, and wear saris from what i remember
              These are the typical stereotypes. I have known enterprising Dehli walay, not so loaded Memons, etc. Also, Urdu speakers have married into other ethnic groups (Punjabi/Pathans etc.) so the ethnic-cultural influence could become dilluted for their children.

I'd interested to know how rare/common are inter-ethnic marriages in Pakistanis these days. I have seen quite a few Urdu speakers marrying outside and vice versa.

Comment

Originally posted by ravage
                ^ except for biharis who have it pretty bad. social attitudes have changed now, we've had marriages recently into bihari families.. but they still go around saying they're from UP and not bihar to avoid prejudice.

there is this sheyr im forgetting now thats very popular

dunya mein qoumiyat ka bhikari bana dia
                jab kuch na ban saka to bihari bana dia

oh yeah.. that, in karachi, is like saying you're an ahole and i dislike your whole family.
                That's news to me.

Comment

Ajkal inter-ethnic marriages have become very common, especially in a city like Karachi. However, there are still many khi-tes who aren't in favour of inter-ethnic marriages. I guess it all depends on your perspective, your upbringing and the type of people has been around in order to be comfortable with inter-ethnic marriages.

ravage, I thought it's the bengladeshi who have really bad in Pakistan?

Comment

Originally posted by Sadiyah
                    Ajkal inter-ethnic marriages have become very common, especially in a city like Karachi.
                    Good for them.

Comment

Zakk,

Just to answer your original question: There are no hierarchies, just stereotypes.

Comment

sadiyah, i know all UP walay arent like that, Im a UP wala, and my potty mouth is very enviable indeed. rahi baat bangladeshis ki, I dont think they're a large enough community, they sorta get coupled with the "shifty" biharis. To give you an example, everyone knows now that Altaf Hussain is a bihari right, some time ago his most vehement supporters would deny he is one, and would say that its an ilzam spread by ISI. we used to find it funny, indeed that sheyr was recited by my abbu to two people (who turned out to be bihari, the aap janab that ensued after that was horrific ).. but yes once we got bihari relatives of our own we saw its a pretty bad problem for them.

LI its true sadly. but as sadiyah said, its getting better now, inter ethnicity marriages are quite common in karachi.

Comment

inter-ethnic marriage is something new in our family started by 2 generation. previously there never used to be marriages between 'outside muhajir' family. the biraderi system is fading now though now. and inter ethnic marriages are not discouraged anymore :-)
                          - I swear to drunk I am not God :-/

Comment

Originally posted by suroor_ca02
                            inter-ethnic marriage is something new in our family started by 2 generation.
                            Do you mean children of immigrants, i.e. 2nd generation? Becuause those are the first ones who married outside the ethnic group in my family's social circle. It was rare and not becasue it was discourage but because of proximity. As people moved away from the 'old social circiles' and move to other cities, they formed ties with people there.

Karachi is home to pretty much every ethnic group in Pakistan and it makes sense that people would formulate ties with each other.

Comment

yep.
                              - I swear to drunk I am not God :-/

Comment

Working...
                              X