Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you believe in "south asian unity or south asian identity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you believe in "south asian unity or south asian identity?

I have noticed that too many Pakistani youths in western countries are falling for this 'south asian unity' nonsense. I am strongly against the idea because if there was any truth about south asian identity, then we would not have needed Pakistan in 1947. i think this Pakistani-bhindian bhai bhai nonsense also negates the two-nation theory.

For example, few months ago my cousin was saying that we ought to support indian cricket against some white team because we are both brown asians. i asked him what the white folks have done to earn your contempt, and what sort of affinity you have with the hindus?

While it is understandable that pakistani migrants may feel isolated in white-dominated western countries. But i think pakistanis who believe in 'south asian unity' should move to india for a while and see what it is really like living as a minority in a hindu-dominated society and they will find that the white majority is not so discriminatory afterall compared to hindus.

To conclude i say that no self-respecting patriotic pakistani should even support india over a white team in a trivial game like cricket
    Last edited by lahori_bhai; May 28, 2005, 10:36 PM.
    PAKISTAN ZINDABAD

Re: Do you believe in "south asian unity or south asian identity?

In many US universities there is a common association for Indians and Pakistanis called as the "Indian Subcontinent" Association.

In the past two years many Indian and Pakistani organisations are celebrating Independence Day functions together.

Comment

I dont think this trend is so strong. In fact the exact opposite is true in many cases. Go to any large western city and there is quite often complete polorization of groups based on race ethnicity. This is'nt just true of Indians and Pakistanis but with all ethnic community.

Comment

lahor bhai.. why should there not be such a union. Pakistan is a sovereign country.. nobody dispute that. But being in a south asian unioun.. there could be manythings u could share. Are u saying that u should take this division of India and Pakistan outside India and make a war on a foreign soil. Ur hate for India or anything in which India is even remotely Indian is quite astonishing. Do u loose ur pakistan identity being in that association. Why do u have such a phobea. Strange.!!

Comment

Indiapak unity is more realistic than muslim unity.

sum indians on here can be bigoted and ignorant which pisses me off but i swear by Allah i've found their akhlaaq and manners to be much much better than those of our arab afghanistani and iranian 'brothers', i swear those "muslims" are scum, gand, kachra, dirty filthy scum.

except direct relatives i dont give fcuk about anyone except pakis now..

indians have every right to hate pakis and muslims but except for bigoted comments they dont usally look down on us. I'd rather be associated with desi indians than non-desi tramp muslims.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranjhan
            Indiapak unity is more realistic than muslim unity.

sum indians on here can be bigoted and ignorant which pisses me off but i swear by Allah i've found their akhlaaq and manners to be much much better than those of our arab afghanistani and iranian 'brothers', i swear those "muslims" are scum, gand, kachra, dirty filthy scum.

except direct relatives i dont give fcuk about anyone except pakis now..

indians have every right to hate pakis and muslims but except for bigoted comments they dont usally look down on us. I'd rather be associated with desi indians than non-desi tramp muslims.
            go to india and live among these lovely hindoos for a few months. i strongly recommend

There is an age-old phrase to describe the hinddu baniya, "Baghul mai chura aur moo pur ram ram". hindus are known to be two-faced and treachorous as individuals and as a community
            These hindus may be very friendly infront of you but they will lose no opportunity to stab you in the back. i know that from experience
            PAKISTAN ZINDABAD

Comment

First our textbooks exaggerate that, hatred for the evil Hindu and occasionally Brit is the only thing which feeds our patriotism and loyalty to Pakistan, in reality they are a lot better than us, we praising thugs and criminals as our national heroes (who are not even of our nation but foreign conquerors) have no right to point fingers at anyone.

I have to admit Indians don’t like Pakistanis too much and understandably so but it’s not only Hindus.

Our Indian Muslims brothers are bigger *******s than Hindus, so much baddniyyati towards Pakistanis, you can sense it off them they give off hate vibes, they don’t even like to talk to us, I was once on a week long course and the only Desis there were a few Gujarati Muslims, ek dam haraami thay. If it had been a Sikh or something they wont necessary agree with all your views but after a while, they’d still chill with you, offer you some cobra beer being the only Desi there and stuff. but these Muslim Indian are just maa ya****.

Comment

The commonality is limited to cultural similarities amongst Pakistani Punjabis, Sindhis and Muhajirs with North Indians.

That sense of unity is generally not to be noticed between Pakistanis and South Indians.

I view it as being like Britain And Ireland. Both are distinct nations, with distinct culture, language, values, outlooks, religion, etc etc etc. Both are, by all canons of internation law, to use Jinnah's words, separate countries.

But they are both tied by their similarities and shared past.
                Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
                Al-Ghazali

Comment

That sense of unity is generally not to be noticed between Pakistanis and South Indians.
                  Yep it's only people from North Western India we have anything in common with, the rest are just Sanskritised Dravidians e.g. the Gujjis, really it's only people from Kashmir and Punjab region we have similarites with, Sindhi people probably have things in common with people from Rajasthan and Gujarat like dress and garba whilst Karachians with wherever they came from in India. We don't really have anything to do with south/east Indians who look different from us because they're mostly of Dravidian descent whilst we mostly Aryan, they speak unintelligible languages, have different customs, dress differently, different cuisine etc.
                  Last edited by Ranjhan; May 30, 2005, 05:16 PM.

Comment

I hate the term "Desi" though, people think of it as an ethnicity when it's not, South Asia has many different ethnic groups all of who are very different from each other.

It should only be used to mean "countryman" like Des means "country" and not in place of South Asian which is only a geographical location and nobodies ethnic identity, it's all this bhangra and hindi movie imperialism bull ****.

To me a person from Chennai is not a Desi (fellow countryman) whilst to an Indian he would be, same way a Balochi to me is a Desi but to an Indian he would not be.

Depends on what you mean by Des (country), if it's a Punjabi calling another Punjabi across the border a fellow Desi that's understandable but all this Desi pride bull **** like we're all one is crap, a Punjabi is no way same as a Bengali or a Kashmiri same as a Gujarati.

Comment

Originally posted by mAd_ScIeNtIsT
                      The commonality is limited to cultural similarities amongst Pakistani Punjabis, Sindhis and Muhajirs with North Indians.

I view it as being like Britain And Ireland. Both are distinct nations, with distinct culture, language, values, outlooks, religion, etc etc etc. Both are, by all canons of internation law, to use Jinnah's words, separate countries.

But they are both tied by their similarities and shared past.
                      good post MS!
                      Din-e-Mullah fee sabeelillah fasad (Allama Iqbal)

Comment

All of us forget that we are basically humans - and birds of a feather will flock together.

Bonding is human. I have seen enough cities growing and this is what I have found happening in India. I don't see how it can be different elsewhere ...

Say, a tamil goes somewhere in the north. He finds a telugu and immediately bonds simply because they are south indians though they don't even speak the same language.

When the numbers of tamils increases, a new comer bonds with the tamilians. A Telugu is now as distant as a north indian, while they bond with each other abroad

When I went to the UK for the first time, a Pakistani I met for a fleeting moment told me, after some enquiries about our respective nativity, "don't trust the goras". We were bonding because we were from the same part of the globe.

Comment

Absolutely, India and Pakistan (as well as Bangladesh) should unite back. It will be the biggest country, with 1/4th of the world population, over 200 different languages, dozens of distinct cultures, etc. etc. The potential for being the world leader is enormous.

Jaey Bharat Maata ki, Jaey

Comment

Sheikh Saab when was India ever united?
                            How can a man die better than facing fearful odds for the ashes of his fathers and the Temple of his Gods?

Comment

zakk has a point. bollywood has united the subcontinent today more than any ashoka or akbar ever did. where else would u find pashtoons from peshawar and tamils from thanjavur sitting side by side happily with their wives and kids other than at a screening of hum aapke hai kaun..
                              Simple ain't easy.

Comment

Working...
                              X