Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Book Discussion: Handmaid's Tale

Has anyone ever read this?

If you haven't, and you'd like to engage in this book discussion, please do pick up the book from your local library. I'm only 30 pages into it and its got enough meat for discussion to last for a while.

It almost makes me think of mullah-nized Islam, so for all you Islam-phobes, and all you Islam-philes, do pick up the book.

Anyone already read it?

A little excerpt I'd like to post:

"He'll be telling them that the women here have different customs, that to stare at them through the lens of a camera is, for them, an experience of violation"
    I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Re: Book Discussion: Handmaid's Tale

i read this years and years ago when i was 16, absolutly loved it. It was my friends copy, i had to read it within a day as she needed it back for her A levels exam

Iv since brought my own copy but havnt really had a chance to read it, come to think of it, i dont even know where it is....must go look for it!
    I understand, I just don't care.

Comment

go over and read it again if you have a chance. this stuff is awesome. i'm already hating men more.

Comment

lol i cant believe you havnt read it already...its what hit the nail in the coffin for me!!

Have you read any other Margaret Atwood books? Oryz and Crake is absolutely hilariously funny!
        I understand, I just don't care.

Comment

I read it during my senior year of High skool.. But i guess i was too immature to understand it or something.. I hated it.... being the only freaking foreign student in the class.. i had to compare it to my culture.... but dont blame everythin to men in dere.. i remember dere were some ladies who gave out sermons or somethings about how a women should behave.. mens were just Pregnanting womens
          Proud member of Shahid Afridi fan Club!

Comment

I also read it in high school....although i hated my assignments on this book....i was hooked on it after i started reading.

Comment

I'm sorry, I haven't read anyone's replies for fear that someone will spoil the ending for me.

I'm halfway thru it and I'm beginning to wonder if the steamy threesom sex scene with the Commander and his wife is what got this book its fame.

Comment

okay, I stayed up until 3 am in the morning reading it

I'm so tired

But this book - I swear I could not put it down.

I don't know if it was just too ridiculously stupid or if its the scary comparison that I kept making with muslim male extremist thought. (note: I do not say Islamic extremism, because Islam is not the one that's extreme. Its the damn mullahs)

The whole idea that its always the woman's fault in a rape case or such cases. The idea that the State could actually have the authority to take away women's rights in one sweeping move. You think its ridiculous and so unrealistic that the United States could become this. But then I kept thinking how it did happen in Afghanistan under the Taliban. And also how even the US current administration is slowly incorporating fundamentalist Christianity into their moves.

I don't get the character of "Nick" though. Do you think in the end he helped her or do you think that he tattled on her?

And do you think its psychologically possible to get a group of people, such as all the women in your state, so brainwashed?

Comment

no one? Oh comon - get the book - read it in one weekend. And we'll have discussion over cyber chai.

Comment

You mean Oryx and Crake..you pigoon!
                    Now repeat after me...."Jeter is the prophet and Rivera is the savior"

Comment

Okay, just a word of warning - Swordspoint is about a Great Swordsman who works for nobles - he gets hired to kill people that are targeted by nobles as part of their political games - and the killing is done in the guise of a deuce.

Well the Swordsman, St. Vier, is friends with this student named Alec. Yeah, I thought they were just friends.

Apparently, they are lovers.

The book is filled with homosexual love scenes. I tried to dismiss the first one and keep moving on - figured maybe its just an isolated incident? The first scene was actually with two other characters - but one of those guys happens to prefer girls, and he backed out of it - and there was no love scene, just some guy on guy flirting.

Yeah, I basically didn't have the stomach to read the rest of the steamy guy on guy love scene.

Mind you, I found this book in the young adults section - i.e. teens section...

yeah...

Its definitely an adult book shelved in the wrong section of the library. I think I'll be writing a letter to the librarians.

Comment

Working...
                      X