Social Customs above the law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social Customs above the law

I read this article today in British times. It's struck me that while we all are quick to jump on , and criticize silly traditions that have grave consequences in Muslim countries we sort of look the other way if, lets say we were to talk about multiple wives in Utah. In this article it is India. Now while India officially has this practice outlawed it is still practiced un-officially. Same in Utah, the practice of polygmy is outlawed but not enforced.
    Read on. I cannot provide the link/URL but search for british times it is in todays newpaper.
    Home | Britain | World | Sport | Business | Comment |
    And Finally Sword attack over child bridesBy Catherine PhilpA BRUTAL attack on a child welfareofficer who tried to prevent threeyoung girls from being married off in amass ceremony has provoked outragein India over the ancient practice ofchild marriage. Hundreds of government workers andsocial activists had been mobilised inthe states of Rajasthan and MadhyaPradesh to prevent the illegal massweddings of under-age boys and girlson the occasion of Akshaya Tritiya, alunar holy day regarded as particularlyauspicious for weddings. Shakuntala Verma, a government childwelfare officer, travelled to Bhangarhvillage in the tribal-dominated Dhardistrict in Madhya Pradesh afterreceiving a tip-off that a family therewas planning to marry off their youngdaughters in such a ceremony. She demanded proof of the girls’ages but was forced to leave afterfamily members threatened her. Laterthat evening a visitor turned up at herdoor armed with a sword and beganslashing at her. As she put up her hands to protectherself, one was severed and the otherbadly injured. Police are now seekingthe arrest of the girls’ father, theofficer’s alleged assailant. Sheremains in hospital in Indore fightingfor her life after a nine-hour operationto re-attach her hand. The brutality of the attack has shockedthe country and renewed debate aboutsteps to halt the practice of childmarriage, outlawed since 1948 butcontinuing almost unhindered in thetribal belts of rural northern India. Around 200,000 marriages of minorsunder the age of 18 are said to takeplace every year, although the illegalityof the practice and the fact that suchmarriages are not registered makesthe exact number hard to determine. The bride and groom, in some cases,are little more than toddlers, althoughthe majority are in their teens. Most child marriages in India take placeon two auspicious holy days: AkshayaTritiya, which fell on Wednesday, andAkha Teej, which falls in September.Police are often bribed to ignore suchceremonies, leaving the task ofpreventing them to unprotected childwelfare workers such as Mrs Verma. Child marriage is an ancient practice inIndia dating back more than 4,000years and comes recommended by the Kama Sutra, which cautions that a girlwho has “fully arrived at puberty”should be avoided as a wife. Until the1860s, girls were routinely married offat 8 or 9. Later that decade the IndianPenal Code outlawed intercourse with awife younger than 10. In 1929 the first Child MarriageRestraint Act was enacted, taking thelower age limit up to 12. In 1948 theage was raised to 18 for girls and 21for boys. But the practice has lived on in ruralRajasthan and Madhya Pradesh, partly,say critics, because of a lack of politicalwill to stop it. Babulal Gaur, the Chief Minister ofMadhya Pradesh, caused outrage whenhe said after the attack on Mrs Vermathat “no serious action” would betaken against those who forced theirchildren into such marriage. “Socialcustoms are stronger than laws,” heargued. Late last year, however, theGovernment put forward a Billdemanding that all marriages in Indiabe registered as a way of preventingchild marriage. At present fewmarriages are recorded. Under the proposed law parents,relatives and presiding priests could becharged and given jail sentences of upto two years. Under existing law themaximum sentence is one month.

Previous| Top | NextSend us your commentsCopyright © 2004 Times NewspapersLtd. This service is provided on TimesNewspapers' standard terms andconditions.
    Can you Hear me Now!! Good

Re: Social Customs above the law

To be fair, sometimes these do-gooders can be a bit annoying....

On a more serious level... The culture in the west has evolved...., culture,customs, traditions have changed over a period of time due to factors like industrialisation, war, technology, immigration (the import of new ideas etc) and few others.

Can we reasonably expect somebody to go to a rural society who have practiced these traditions for millenia and say "Okey dokey bwoys and girls...you do these things our way because we are modern shmodern people and therefore we KNOW better than you and thou shalt do as we say!"

How can you just change somebody's mindset....
    May your every wish be granted...
    Ancient chinese curse

Comment

LD thats not good enough. People need to change. And to me it's like breaking a habit. How does one go about breaking habits? I mean in my case I quit smoking cold turkey, some require a patch while others require group therapy. Same can be applied in these scenarios. I guess the issue becomes, when GOD/ALLAH sanctions these stupid rituals and ignorant masses cannot think outside or for the better of themselves. In this case it is a holy thing sanctioned by God so it must be. But the ordinary villager propbably doesnt understand that about 4500 years ago the guy who incorporated this under the instruction of GOD really had a hard on for his neighbors daughter.
      Same can be applied in Utah and other triabal areas.

Comment

Verizon, why are YOUR views and social customs better than theirs...and WHY should you enforce your values and way of life on them too.
        Ancient chinese curse

Comment

Now I'm gonna wait for the ppl to say that OUR (Pakis) customs and culture and society is million times better
          The grass ain't always greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Comment

Ive had time to read your second post verizon (properly) and i do agree with you to a certain degree .... however this type of attitude can be applied to every in the world and we can see the effects or counter-effects of it in the Muslim World at the moment...

and im glad you dont smoke cold turkey's as i originally thought!
            Ancient chinese curse

Comment

Because my views dont get a 8 yr old baby girl to get married to a 15 yr old male or a 30 yr old priest. Would you feel Ok wth getting your kid getting married at a young age?
              Using your argument of "they are better and my views are not" then UN or any other countrry should not enforce family palnning, they should all pop kids every nine months and get them wed at age 8. I guess that should be OK using your logic.

Comment

That wasnt my argument, my argument was if somebody come along and says"what you and your ancestors have been doing all your life is wrong do it this way" is hard to stomach and thats why you get the man and sword scenario because iof the lack of education... changing peoples view over time.... the first time you say it, its going to sound awfull

secondly youve chosen a very unfair argument, of course im going to agree with you in that view but there are other things
                Ancient chinese curse

Comment

Working...
                X