Languages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Languages

What is a language you love to listen to even if you don't speak or understand it?

Japanese.
    "Some people believe that necessity is the mother of Invention, but they're wrong, its War" - James May

Comment

In all honesty: Urdu. It's got a lovely, soft cadence and flow.

Punjabi: My parents speak it. I can understand it. I can muster a few sentences if I'm feeling angry, lol. Punjabi's got a blunt and rough feel to it, but that's also what makes it comical.

In regards to Western romance languages, I find that Spanish sounds harsh to the ear, but I still want to learn it as it would be professionally useful to me. I feel the same way about Italian and German as well (sound harsh). French is easy on the ears though.
      Hi Frendzz! I am a multi of a multi of a multi of a multi of a multi!

Comment

In addition to Urdu, Punjabi and English, I can speak French and Arabic too, albeit not to the same level of proficiency. Mrs. can speak in German, but hardly does.

Amongst the languages from Subcontinent, Urdu is undoubtedly the most soulful and melodious, in fact it can be classified amongst the world's best languages when it comes to phonetics of spoken words and poignancy, and many non speakers cannot apprehend its beauty and caliber. The Bengali comes a distant second.

I believe we all should learn at least one extra language, be able to play one musical instrument and be good at one sport as the least. Being good at an one of the Fine Arts disciplines will make you a very well-rounded and desirable person.
        Doctor, 17+ countries, surfer, hiker, skier and yoga fan… get the picture?

Comment

English in British accent
          Attitude is more important than facts.
          "Life is 10% what happens to us..and 90% of how we react to it"

Comment

Yes, exactly! I don't always immediately understand British people, even when growing up and visiting different family members in the UK, some had accents which hurt my ears. But usually after listening for a few minutes, your ear gets used to their manner of speach and you start understanding. I have to say though, I'm not very fond of most British accents. I love hearing desi people speak English though with their accents.
            Well . . .

Comment

• SID_NY
              SID_NY commented
              Editing a comment
              not to wage opposite gender debate but the brit women talking in british accent is just sweeeeeeeet. Like music to ears. Luckily, I getto experience all accents in NYC.

Originally posted by Sahdia77 View Post
            Yes, exactly! I don't always immediately understand British people
            I've interestingly had a similar experience. The English we learn to read and write in Pakistan is British English. Yet I was unable to catch a single word of the first ever British person to have spoken to me. He was an airport official at Gatwick. I inferred what he was saying by observing his hands. Later on I learned that some accents spoken in Britain are so thick that even other Britishers have a hard time understanding them.

Comment

Listening to hardcore punjabi

especially when two are throwing foul words at each other

it cannot be translated to english as it makes no sense and is hilarious

Comment

Another language that I like hearing is Persian. Or may be thats the underlying effect of being impressed with that language itself. Growing up saw my Aligarh born Mom and her father ( my nana) conversing each other quoting Persian idioms and proverbs like something. That included quotes from sheikh Saadi to many others whom I dont remember now. But it was cool. Too bad I never learnt much from them.
                Attitude is more important than facts.
                "Life is 10% what happens to us..and 90% of how we react to it"

Comment

Originally posted by SID_NY View Post
                  English in British accent
                  I hope you mean the BBC accent. Because depending of what part of the UK you're in, it'll either sound like gibberish or... gibberish. Personally, I find the North Yorkshire accent to be hilarious.

A masterclass of the many different British accents
                  Last edited by a7mado; Sep 8, 2021, 01:27 AM.
                  "Some people believe that necessity is the mother of Invention, but they're wrong, its War" - James May

Comment

• SID_NY
                    SID_NY commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yikes! I never knew there are these many accents there. I guess what we usually encounter is a normal slow paced urban British accent

Originally posted by SID_NY View Post

Yikes! I never knew there are these many accents there. I guess what we usually encounter is a normal slow paced urban British accent
                  Yeah, you're probably talking about Hugh Grant from Notting Hill or Two Weeks Notice, I like to call that the BBC accent. Its quite clear and understandable, unlike brummie (Birmingham) accent.

Comment

Working...
                  X