Phonetic Urdu script

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phonetic Urdu script

I recently started Arabic 101 at a local place and am having such a hard time pronouncing letters that are pronounced all the same in Urdu but have different pronunciations in Arabic (e.g. seen, say, swad).

Made me think, why don't we make the Urdu script phonetic and eliminate all the duplicate letters.
    When we encounter these letters in Arabic they would be new to us and we won't assume they are pronounced the same.

seen, say, swad - keep the seen
    zay, zoay, zwad, zaal - keep the zay
    tay, tuay - keep the tay
    alif, ain - keep the alif (not sure about dropping the ain, though)
    chhoti and bari hay - keep the chhoti hay

Devanagari script is already phonetic (without duplicates) and the entire Urdu literature is available in that script.
    So, it should not be a problem writing in phonetic Urdu script

Seen and swad aren't pronounced the same
    Be someone that makes YOU happy

Comment

• krash
      krash commented
      Editing a comment
      In Urdu or Arabic?

• LP
      LP commented
      Editing a comment
      In Arabic they are different so I think they'd be different in urdu too.

• krash
      krash commented
      Editing a comment
      In Urdu they are pronounced the same.
      In Devanagari script, same letter is used for them.

Remember that the original urdu was less fascinated from arabic but more from Turkish, Persian and some sunsikirat. Urdu has always been considered as the language of "Tehzeeb" ya parhay likhon ki zuban. Every letter thats included in there must has certain background as well as effects. Thats why its hard to just eliminate any for convenience sake.

Comment

• krash
      krash commented
      Editing a comment
      The duplicate letters were simply inherited from Arabic but their original sounds were lost and merged into a single sound

Originally posted by krash View Post
    I recently started Arabic 101 at a local place and am having such a hard time pronouncing letters that are pronounced all the same in Urdu but have different pronunciations in Arabic (e.g. seen, say, swad).

Made me think, why don't we make the Urdu script phonetic and eliminate all the duplicate letters.
    When we encounter these letters in Arabic they would be new to us and we won't assume they are pronounced the same.

seen, say, swad - keep the seen
    zay, zoay, zwad, zaal - keep the zay
    tay, tuay - keep the tay
    alif, ain - keep the alif (not sure about dropping the ain, though)
    chhoti and bari hay - keep the chhoti hay

Devanagari script is already phonetic (without duplicates) and the entire Urdu literature is available in that script.
    So, it should not be a problem writing in phonetic Urdu script
    I went through the urdu alphabets on YouTube today and understood exactly what you meant.
    ​​​​​​
    Be someone that makes YOU happy

Comment

Working...
    X