Iftaar Culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iftaar Culture

Eating free iftar at mosque is fantastic, but providing meal to a fasting person is rewarding act. There is a tradition of providing meal to fasting persons in Masjid e Nabwi and Masjid Haram. Both mosques host this tradition entire year.

Dubai is also on foot step of those mosques. It host 30K people at Iftaar.
    How Abu Dhabi?s Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque prepares UAE?s LARGEST Iftar

SID_NY akaprincess redvelvet Pakistani Prince @LP aqua70
    muqawwee123
    ​​​​​​​Whatever you say either Ramazan or Ramadan. You fast... Do you like to host or would you like to attend public iftar.

Please share your opinion.
    Last edited by mahool; May 7, 2019, 01:32 PM.

Comment

I love to host !!! I get a rush out of feeding people. the only problem though is, I barely get time to spend with my guests because I get so caught up in making arrangements.

last year I hosted a big girls/kids only iftar (around 15 people) and I ended up missing out on a lot of good conversation

but given my living situations now, I likely won't be hosting anymore, and even if I do, it iwll be one or two people MAX.

Comment

Originally posted by akaprincess View Post
        I love to host !!! I get a rush out of feeding people. the only problem though is, I barely get time to spend with my guests because I get so caught up in making arrangements.

last year I hosted a big girls/kids only iftar (around 15 people) and I ended up missing out on a lot of good conversation

but given my living situations now, I likely won't be hosting anymore, and even if I do, it iwll be one or two people MAX.
        Generally, fruit mix (chaat), date, milk (rooh afza) juice, pakoory, and rolls are common item in ifatar?

What do you eat in iftaar? What are your tradition when it comes to iftaar?

Comment

yes, all of the mentioned items are very common in iftar.

I like to do a mix of items when it comes to opening the fast and the dinner - I do both, and I wait in between. I know some people like to serve everything all at once. but I serve the opening fast part first ( the rolls, pakora etc), and then everyone pray, then serve dinner so no one has to rush to pray and can enjoy the food at their own pace.

no other real tradition I guess.. it's just that.. and when I do my iftar gatherings, I would do one big one for family, and one big one for girls only friends, and well, in the past, a mix of our (me and my ex) friends all together

Comment

yes, all of the mentioned items are very common in iftar.

I like to do a mix of items when it comes to opening the fast and the dinner - I do both, and I wait in between. I know some people like to serve everything all at once. but I serve the opening fast part first ( the rolls, pakora etc), and then everyone pray, then serve dinner so no one has to rush to pray and can enjoy the food at their own pace.

no other real tradition I guess.. it's just that.. and when I do my iftar gatherings, I would do one big one for family, and one big one for girls only friends, and well, in the past, a mix of our (me and my ex) friends all together
            We also do iftar followed by prayer and then dinner.

Comment

Alhamdolillah.

Aftar in masjid is a great blessing for mufta-khor pplz like holy. All we need to do is try a different masjid every other day. Koi pehchan bhi nai pata

now who is inviting over?
              My degree of sarcasm is directly related with your level of stupidity.
              "Hamari Koi aur branch nahi hai"

Comment

Can holy be the one you are inviting over for Iftar?

That will be holy 's roza kushai and holy's grand entrance will be like...

Comment

• akaprincess
                  akaprincess commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Of course you can, my doors dont close on people.
                  Now, the entrance, we will have to discuss

Though we don't attend public iftar parties, yet we do have this tradtion of inviting family members for iftar dinner every year... We also send over packed food stuff to neighbours and mosques regularly throughout Ramadan...
                Last edited by Pakistani Prince; May 9, 2019, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Holy Lota View Post
                  Alhamdolillah.

Aftar in masjid is a great blessing for mufta-khor pplz like holy. All we need to do is try a different masjid every other day. Koi pehchan bhi nai pata

now who is inviting over?
                  Koi pehchan bhi nahi pata.... Do mosques serve delicious iftaar?

Originally posted by Pakistani Prince View Post
                  Though we don't attend public iftar parties, yet we do have this tradtion of inviting family members for iftar dinner every year... We also send over packed food stuff to neighbours and mosques regularly throughout Ramdan...

What do you eat in iftaar?

Comment

• Pakistani Prince
                    Pakistani Prince commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We break fast with milk and dates (and sometimes with samosy or fruit chart) ... Later on after 2,3 hours we have proper dinner!

Originally posted by mahool View Post

Koi pehchan bhi nahi pata.... Do mosques serve delicious iftaar?

Pakistani Prince jese bhai logon ka bheja hwa iftar collectively very hi delicious hojata hai

Comment

MashaALLAH ye culture tou bht aam hn yaha aksar masajd mai ye ahtimam hota hn Ramdan k mubarak maheny mai..

Comment

Great thread.

We've a daily iftar at our masjid that's sponsored by different people, organizations and community. Usually one family sponsors everyday but over the weekends where larger crowd shows up its mostly a bigger group who finance it. Like this weekend it'll be ICNA/helping hand and last weekend it'll be bengali community to host it.

This is pretty much every masjid in NY. Infact, there is one masjid here which is famous for its lavish iftar and the unique thing is it doesnt ask for anyone to sponsor it. Rather does everything on its own. They have a very large kitchen and its own chef. So everything cooks there for a couple of hundred people everyday.

In manhattan/nyc masjids its mostly done collectively. thats due the very large number of visitors/workers/students etc.
                      However, other than masjids there are iftars organized by several groups in nyc and more on a social basis. I think there is a calendar for it as well so if someone is visiting here, I can share it with them.

Long back, I met a couple of Pakistani families who told me that they practically dont turn on their stove in Ramadan. And I died laughing in both surprise and shock, lol. What they told me they were doing is that doing iftar in masjid and then also make the boxes for sehri from there. So they never have to cook at home whole month long
                      Attitude is more important than facts.
                      "Life is 10% what happens to us..and 90% of how we react to it"

Comment

• akaprincess
                        akaprincess commented
                        Editing a comment
                        the masjid I used to go to with my parents, did the same.. every week a couple of families would be assigned to cook etc and everyone would take turns.

• SID_NY
                        SID_NY commented
                        Editing a comment
                        akaprincess I really like this culture. Its a great bonding and revival of relationships within the community

Originally posted by SID_NY View Post
                      Great thread.

We've a daily iftar at our masjid that's sponsored by different people, organizations and community. Usually one family sponsors everyday but over the weekends where larger crowd shows up its mostly a bigger group who finance it. Like this weekend it'll be ICNA/helping hand and last weekend it'll be bengali community to host it.

This is pretty much every masjid in NY. Infact, there is one masjid here which is famous for its lavish iftar and the unique thing is it doesnt ask for anyone to sponsor it. Rather does everything on its own. They have a very large kitchen and its own chef. So everything cooks there for a couple of hundred people everyday.

In manhattan/nyc masjids its mostly done collectively. thats due the very large number of visitors/workers/students etc.
                      However, other than masjids there are iftars organized by several groups in nyc and more on a social basis. I think there is a calendar for it as well so if someone is visiting here, I can share it with them.

Long back, I met a couple of Pakistani families who told me that they practically dont turn on their stove in Ramadan. And I died laughing in both surprise and shock, lol. What they told me they were doing is that doing iftar in masjid and then also make the boxes for sehri from there. So they never have to cook at home whole month long
                      That Pakistani couple is misusing Iftari. Apparently this couple is still living in mental age of student life.

Comment

• SID_NY
                        SID_NY commented
                        Editing a comment
                        lol I know man. They were a full family that too khaatay peetay mA. But I was amazed at their strategy.

• mahool
                        mahool commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It was not an strategy they are lazy bum.

I've volunteered at mosques and served iftaar but not anymore, i get too hungry waiting for my turn.

Comment

• SID_NY
                        SID_NY commented
                        Editing a comment
                        haha. I know that happens a lot. But its fun to volunteer too. Just dont hesitate to announce you'll be starting soon while serving. Meaning just dont wait for the last person cuz the queue never finishes
                    Working...
                    X