Saavan...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saavan...

...is probably one of the worst parts of the year with all its humidity, mugginess and stickiness. I think it's the perfect season for malaria too. What do our people find so romantic about this season that they dedicate songs to it then?

I guess something to do with rain and pakorraas. Our people look for excuses to eat fried stuff. Most of the romance and show of affection from a wife ends up in a karraahi. It's a show of love and intimacy when she ghols besan with her long fingers, spices it up with laal mirchi and karri pata, dips baingun in the mix, stinks up the whole house with the fried smell of dalda ghee and serves it to her majazi-e-khuda who is reading a newspaper on the balcony.

How romantic!

Comment

It is romantic only for the first few hours with pakoroas & chai but later every thing becomes wet & smelly and thats not too pleasant for the nose!

Comment

roshnie, that's your opinion. Some people may find wet & smelly (good) very romantic.

Comment

I thought a lot of fruits and veges turn inedible in this season cos they get spoilt and lose their taste. Blossoms turn into ambiyan? But aren't mangoes a summer fruit? Does it take that long for these ambiyans to turn into aam?

FG smelly is never good.

Comment

I don't think Madhanee is too far off the mark. In southern Pakistan, ambiyaN are in season around march/april. May and June are mango months.

Saavan is obviously good for the crops (too much of it - yeah it destroys crops), again especially in the south cuz all the punjabis hog up the water up north anway
            Save Pakistan.

Comment

And what the hell has crops to do with being romantic?.

Comment

It has to do with prosperity, nature, blossoms, a good crop, it makes you feel happy that the upcoming year will be good for the crops, etc. It's a time that makes most people happy and therefore romantic too.

Sort of like april showers, bring may flowers.
                Save Pakistan.

Comment

ooh, catfight. I like it.

Comment

Warning: Saavan is not made for city folks. Stay indoor and shut down the windows.

Saavan is a beautiful time...you can appreciate it only when you are sitting on your majj(buffalo), singing Heer, waving you wand in in fresh washed air while dark clouds cover your head like an umbrella.

Comment

Originally posted by ChannMahi:
                      Warning: Saavan is not made for city folks. Stay indoor and shut down the windows.
                      Hear ye! Hear ye!

You don't know the feeling of ghaara in the vaiRa after lots of rain.
                      Save Pakistan.

Comment

So I take it Saavan is Fall and not Spring? I thought it was any time it rained. Or maybe that's just the literal meaning of saavan, i.e. rain?
                        I think the only unromantic part about it would be the mud. yuck!

Comment

And whats with all these village idiots going back to their maika's in saavan. One explanation could be that their hubby's and themselves stink so much tha tthey decided to stay apart for some time. What else?

Comment

Chan Ji, please don't waste your Majj riding, Heer singing, romantic stories on these urban ghetto stricken people. Only true homies know the joy of saavan in hot punjab!
                            I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                            - Robert McCloskey

Comment

JAAMUN.
                              Gentlemen prefer Tid Ole Bitties.

Comment

Working...
                              X